Monday 1 November 2010

No news Fact - visual research

My statement of fact is In the UK, underage drinkers consume 6.9 million pints of beer every week.

I contemplated how to visualise such a large quantity.  Maybe an Olympic size swimming pool?  So I researched beer trivia and capacity

8 pints = 1 galleon

4.4 million pints would fill an Olympic size swimming pool

a Barrel of beer contains 288 pints

1 pint weighs 0.6kg.

I think it is difficult to convey such a large quantity visually with any accuracy so I decided to break the 6.9 million down using time.

6.9 million pints over seven days
985,714 pints over 24 hours
41,071 pints over 1 hour
684.5 pints over 1 minute
11.4 pints over 1 second

This is still a large number over a short space of time and it is also a number that people can relate to eg a lot of young me try to drink 11 pints on a night out. 

The rephrased fact wil be ' In the UK, U18's (or underage drinkers) down 11 pints every second.'

The average person drinks about 152 ounces of alchohol per year that is about 13 pints per year! I may be able to use this some how?





Anoth interesting infographic in terms of visual literacy and sign and symbols. college-drinking-more-than-just-a-problem-infographics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment