Tuesday 3 May 2011

Speaking from experience - Evaluation of survey results

Results of survey - The highlighted words provide common themes which are brought up.
Stephanie Lawson I think i've stayed very safe, kept in my comfortable zone when approaching briefs. I know what I'm best at and tend to stick to it, I really really should experiment more though!
28 April at 17:30 · Sophie Wilson i think i have experimented more than i expected too- but a lack of skills or software knowledge has probably held me back a little- a lack of confidence to "go for it"
28 April at 17:39 · Kirsty Cave i dont think i had until this last module where im challenging myself to try more, although i thought making 100 pairs of glasses was a big achievement. I think i was worried incase things went wrong...now i have enough confidence to make mistakes x
28 April at 21:15 · Kirsty Alderson I have definitely not taken enough risks. I've stuck to my comfort zone because I just never feel that confident. In desperate need of more self belief!
28 April at 21:20 · Sarah Pritchard I think I have experimented a bit, but at the same time have stayed quite in my comfort zone, kind of like what Steph said, I know what I'm good at doing so tend to stick to it. A few things held me back, 1 not having enough confidence to just go for it and make a huge mistake, and the fact of the deadlines and what not. Just an excuse really haha.
28 April at 21:21 · Sophie Wilson ‎^100 percent agree :P argh, we all need to be told we're fabulous just once ;) yknow...for the confidence ;D
Baljeet Kaur Samra I don't think I did as much as I could cause sometimes I'd rather play it safe than making a mistake.. But as fred says, its good to make mistakes, but learn from them!
28 April at 22:35 · Christoffel Van Niekerk Yes i did, and some of them paid off and one of them i had to actaully start again completely, Ive learned a fair bit from my mistakes, and i think its important to slip up every now and then.
29 April at 10:19 · Lisa Whitaker Cheers for the replies so far guys. i appreciate your honesty. Just for the record I think I have took some risks however like some of you I have lacked confidence with some software to push it too far. I also think I care too much what people think about my work x
29 April at 10:30 · Bethany Yates yes, but maybe not as many as i could have, i experimented in areas i was already comfortable with but didn't really try things i'd never done before, like screen printing and digital things, i think it was just not having the confidence to approach workshop staff for the help.
29 April at 18:25 · Joe Warburton nah not at all, my work's always digital and i don't think ive drawn one proper thing (apart from sketches).. i do wanna step out of my comfort zone and try something new but im a bit anal about work and i always think its gonna turn out crap
29 April at 23:50 · Charlie Crosby ‎1. not always, some times i did experiment but i think i could always try more things.
2. i think failing to be successful is a massive fear that holds me back and acceptance that i have to sometimes hold me back even further. Also time can be a factor if you dont have lots then you can do much.
Claudia Griffin i didnt at the beginning but now am starting to after hearing feedback in tutorials and now I feel like I know a lot more about gd, just being scared about making mistakes i think
Sadie Thompson I feel like I have experimented more and taken more risks in comparison to how I worked on my foundation, which is good. If anything what held me back from experimenting more is the constant stress of a looming deadline and knowing you dont have much time to make mistakes which might hinder your final grade, because the course is so full on.
Emails from 2 and 3 years
Charlotte Riley
1. On reflection, do you think you experimented/took enough risks with your Graphic Design?
- No
2. If the answer is No, what held you back?
- I think it was fear of getting it wrong. I have taken some risks and some paid off but the ones that didn't work made me feel like I'd wasted my time. I don't regret the decisions I've made, I just sometimes wish I'd pushed past my comfort zone a little more.
Chloe Galea wrote:
1/ Probably not - i could have made better work if i had more confidence to experiment or do exactly what i wanted and not trying and second guess the course.
2/ Lack of confidence in my ability and lack of understanding of contempoarry design - what's good experimentation, whats just rubbish, etc!
Paul Mitchell wrote:
1) no
2) Feeling the need to 'keep up' with others on the course meant not wanting to have a brief completely fail so played too safe on some, slightly scared to make the wrong decision. Also being less skilled with the software definatly meant things just took longer, so more time cursing Adobe and less time to be creative. I still think, for me, the first year was the hardest of the course.
Adam Townend wrote:
1. I did take risks but I didn't see them as risks as such. When you get out into industry you appreciate how much of a comfortable environment now. Taking risks means making mistakes and we are all encouraged to do so. Taking risks and making mistakes in the industry costs, so use your time now to make the mistakes and learn from them.

2. The benefits of taking those risks and putting yourself outside your comfort zone means you find that you have new skills you never thought you'd have and you can potentially unearth a new direction for your work. Experiment now so then you can drive your own learning.
Arthur Carey wrote:
1. On reflection, do you think you experimented/took enough risks with your Graphic Design
yes.
2. If the answer is Yes, what have the benefits been?
being able to produce a diverse set of responses throughout my first year - some appropriate, some less so - has allowed me to get to know many areas of the college/technicians/skills i would not have learnt if i had not embarked on "risky" projects.
in second year i still take risks in every project as doing something in my comfort zone (where there is no financial incentive) seems like a waste of energy and a waste of this time to experiment and develop/learn more about myself and ultimately seek to realise my own practice by summer 2012.
Naomi Farrar
1- No, I feel I did not take enough risks.
2- I think what held me back was believing that I had more time constraints than I actually did. Also feeling I didn't have enough experience to use the resources available in college myself.

Of 20 responses 10 felt they did not experiment enough, only 3 felt they had the rest felt they either had a bit or were starting to.

Comfort zone/comfortable/plaay it safe mentioned 10 times
Time mentioned 6 times
Confidence mentioned 7 times
Fear/scared mentioned 4 times

No comments:

Post a Comment